There are many negative aspects of political performance appraisals those really demotivate employees in true sense and resulting serious consequence in organization.
The negative aspects of political performance appraisals are:
• undermine organizational goals and performance,
• compromise the relationship between performance and rewards,
• amplify political behavior in other organizational processes and decisions, and
• expose the organization to litigation if employees are terminated.
Managers can obtain the following actions to trim down the problem of politically based performance appraisals:
• Establish goals and standards that are as transparent and specific as possible.
• Tie specific actions and performance outcome to rewards.
• Carry out structured, professional reviews, together with specific examples of practical performance and explanations for ratings.
• Recommend performance feedback on a continuing basis, rather than just once a year.
• Recognize that the potential for politics in performance appraisals exists and make this topic a focus of ongoing considerations throughout the organization.