Various types of leadership power are prevailing in the world. Every type is having its specific characteristics and scope. Maxwell’s 21 irrefutable laws of leadership have discussed many leadership aspects. Where are the sources of power in leadership? The sources of five types of leadership power and supremacy similar to those of a manager’s power. These powers are as follows:
• legitimate power- These types of leadership power come from the leader’s position in the organization.
• reward power- This power comes from the leader’s skill
• coercive power – is the potential to influence others
• referent power – usually is linked with individuals who possess admired personal features
• expert power – is manifest when followers involve in behaviors because they trust that the leader has special knowledge
I am discussing five types of leadership power and supremacy in short.
1. Legitimate power: Legitimate power denotes to the skill to stimulate followers because the leader has the right to request they do something and they have the obligation to conform. They come from the leader’s position in the organization.
2. Reward power :Reward power comes from the leader’s skill to give something positively expected by followers in return for behaviors the leader expected and wanted.
4. Referent power: Referent power usually is linked with individuals who possess admired personal features, such as humility, integrity, and courage. It is evident when followers engage in behaviors because they respect the leader, want to be like the leader, and want to get the leader’s approval.
5. Expert power: Expert power is manifest when followers involve in behaviors because they trust that the leader has special knowledge and knows what is required to achieve a goal or resolve a problem.
Five types of leadership power and supremacy are present in our corporate leadership.